Thursday, March 08, 2007

Column of the quarter: Matt Sanchez

Why did I become a conservative? Just look at what I left, and look at who is attacking me today. Let's face it: Those on the left who now attack me would be defending me if I had espoused liberal causes and spoken out against the Iraq war before I was outed as a pseudo celebrity. They'd be talking about publishing my memoir and putting me on a diversity ticket with Barack Obama.

Instead, those who complain about wire-tapping reserve the right to pry into my private life and my past for political brownie points.

Sure, I had my picture taken with Ann Coulter. I don't agree with what she said, but anyone in the military would defend her right to say it. I'm not apologizing for it. I'm also not going to claim I'm sorry for leaving a long-ago summer job off my curriculum vitae. A lot things in my life don't add up, but then I was never good at math. It's just a part of my past, and as anyone who reflects on the past realizes, it contributes to who I am today. No apologies, just recognition. No running away, just moving forward.
I want you to read the whole thing.

Know this - I would serve with Cpl. Sanchez anywhere. I don't care about his past before the military - just as I don't care about yours - and I hope you don't care about mine. Why? Ref. A for me is 1 Corinthians 6:9-11. I'm not clear of those things listed in 6:9-10, are you? They aren't listed in any priority or seniority that I can see - heck, I can check more than one.

In a more earthly way, what Matt has done is a perfect example on how to address the politics of personal destruction. Nietzsche was right.
What does not kill me, makes me stronger.
Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 1888
Matt is much stronger now. Much stronger.

One last note: Matt put something in his article that showed a great sense of humor and a subtle, biting wit that I wish I had.
I am concerned, though, that they (old pictures of him) may make some people (leftist bloggers) feel inadequate. As a conservative, I like to insist on equal opportunity, even if some do start off with more than others.
Perfect. Those who know, know.

As for the heartless, hypocritical, hateful, judgemental Conservatives;
I am embarrassed to admit that was I worried that my fellow conservatives would distance themselves from me when the news about my film career broke. The opposite has happened. I've been asked to give my point of view, invited to speak at various functions, and invited back on television.

My peers on the right have gone out of their way to give me a vote of confidence and avoid a rush to judgment. I appreciate the support. I am also not really that troubled by the abuse I've taken from the other side. Some conversations are worth having. By entering the public arena, with all the risk that entails, I feel I've already achieved a major victory. Columbia University is expanding its outreach to veterans and will build a memorial to alumni who have fallen in battle. Columbia veterans have fought in every conflict since the American Revolution. The rest of it is just a bunch of blips in the blogosphere.
From one blimp to another; cheers Matt, you just earned a spot on the BlogRoll.
UPDATE: Uncle Jimbo at BLACKFIVE and GayPatriot are worth your time to read - ditto Chap.

No comments: