Thursday, April 05, 2007

Wallonia Loonies

UPDATE: Ungh. They got me. It is a delayed action April Fool's joke. I thought I got through it OK this year. My bust - however with the outlawing of burning wood or new fireplaces in this country - it doesn't sound that out of control. Sigh. Lame excuse.
Anyone who has driven down the Maas Valley, the Albert Canal, been to Liege (or
Lüttich there natch), or drived in rush hour traffic in Brussels (yes Mike, I know it is not in Wallonia) knows what madness this is.
The government of Belgium's French-speaking region of Wallonia, which has a population of about 4 million, has approved a tax on barbequing, local media reported.

Experts said that between 50 and 100 grams of CO2, a so-called greenhouse gas, is emitted during barbequing. Beginning June 2007, residents of Wallonia will have to pay 20 euros for a grilling session.
Weber is the last company they should worry about.

I guess they might as well tax breathing. Don't tell Al Gore.

No comments: