Monday, August 01, 2005

Can we rename SSN-23?

If you ever needed evidence of a lasting insult from the Clinton administration to the military, it would be the heavy weight of naming one of our most important submarines after the "President that will not be named in this blog" (PTWNBNITB).

Why bring up this seven year old subject? Harupmh.
"I think what's going on in Guantanamo Bay and other places is a disgrace to the U.S.A.," he told a news conference at the Baptist World Alliance's centenary conference in Birmingham, England. "I wouldn't say it's the cause of terrorism, but it has given impetus and excuses to potential terrorists to lash out at our country and justify their despicable acts."
...
"What has happened at Guantanamo Bay ... does not represent the will of the American people," PNTBNITB said Saturday. "I'm embarrassed about it, I think its wrong. I think it does give terrorists an unwarranted excuse to use the despicable means to hurt innocent people."
...
"I thought then, and I think now, that the invasion of Iraq was unnecessary and unjust. And I think the premises on which it was launched were false," he said Saturday.
Thank you for your support. Overseas. During a war. In front of a camera. Narcissist. Clueless. Usefull idiot.

Ok, he was a submarine qualified President, but honestly, what did he do for national security or the Navy to justify this? Might as well name the next tank after General McClellen.

There are many great submarine names we can recycle, and there are still some great WWII heros that deserve a sub named after them. Bubblehead has to have an idea or two.

Trader Rob put it well.
For me this man is the perfect negative barometer. If he is on one side of an issue, you can bet the farm the other side is the place to be.

UPDATE: Well stated quasi-counterpoint from Bubblehead. We may see things slightly differently, but we are on the same sheet of music when it comes to naming warships. Talk about a burr under my saddle...give it a read.

Oh, one more thing. Now and then, the former submariner had to come out of the former President. Well, you know. I'll let you judge for yourself.

No comments: