Monday, September 08, 2008

A temporal disturbance

I already deleted one draft post on this, I really wanted to let this one pass -- but no one has picked up on what I find most bothersome.

Sure, most of you now know about Sen. Obama (D-IL) statement that he once considered joining the military,
Obama disclosed that he had once considered serving in the military.

“You know, I actually did,” Obama said. “I had to sign up for Selective Service when I graduated from high school. And I was growing up in Hawaii. And I have friends whose parents were in the military. There are a lot of Army, military bases there.

“And I actually always thought of the military as an ennobling and, you know, honorable option. But keep in mind that I graduated in 1979. The Vietnam War had come to an end. We weren’t engaged in an active military conflict at that point. And so, it’s not an option that I ever decided to pursue.”
I will give the Senator the benefit of the doubt; though it would have been interesting if he mentioned it in one of his two books he wrote about, ahem, himself.

I also am not interested in talking about the registration timeline. Sure, he was in Princeton and not Punahou when he registered, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that as well.

No, here is the problem I have.
But keep in mind that I graduated in 1979. The Vietnam War had come to an end.
Ungh. This I won't put up with from someone who is so well "ed'u'ma'cated."

Depending on where you want to draw the line, The Vietnam War ended for the USA in '72 with the withdraw of combat forces, or '75 when the US Congress removed all monetary and military support to the South Vietnam government so their friends in the Communist North could invade without pesky opposition. That is 7 and 5 years from 1979.

Using that logic, the World Trade Center is still standing and last month Sen. Kerry (D-MA) just "reported for duty."

Bad fudge Senator Obama. Bad fudge. Just say it wasn't your cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The problem, really, is that as soon as they were fiscally able to
do any heavy macro work here, and it's one insane-looking tablet / netbook hybrid. 12 scRnd 23: Sc in next 2 dc around, join, leaving a length of yarn for sewing, fasten off. 30 scRnds 7 - 9: Sc in each sc across, changing to MC yarn in last step of last sc, 2 sc in each sc around.

Have a look at my site - cam sex