What book on military leadership does this come out of? New Age leadership within a Anarcho-syndicalist commune - perhaps ..... but a Navy at war?
If you have to ask.....
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//DNS//UPDATE: A must read; The Yankee Sailor has the ETHOS bracketed - and has what I hope isn't really the draft statement ... he kids ... right? He kids because he loves, right?
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/DNS/MAY//
SUBJ/NAVY ETHOS SURVEY//
POC/TORRES, JOE/CDR/USFF/TEL: 757-836-----, EMAIL/JOSE.------ATNAVY.MIL//
RMKS/1. IN HIS GUIDANCE FOR 2007-2008, CNO DIRECTED THE DEVELOPMENT AND PROMULGATION OF A NAVY ETHOS STATEMENT AS AN UNDERPINNING TO MISSION SUCCESS NAVY-WIDE. FORMALLY DEFINED, ETHOS GENERALLY IDENTIFIES THE DISTINGUISHING CHARACTER, CULTURE, OR GUIDING BELIEFS OF A PERSON, GROUP, OR INSTITUTION. THE PURPOSE OF THE NAVY ETHOS STATEMENT IS TO COMMUNICATE AND EMPHASIZE THE FUNDAMENTAL PRINCIPLES AND VALUES WE WOULD EXPECT TO BE SHARED BY ALL WHO SERVE WITHIN THE NAVY TEAM,MILITARY AND CIVILIAN ALIKE, NO MATTER WHAT COMMUNITY, COMMAND, SPECIALTY, OR POSITION EACH OF US ARE ASSOCIATED WITH.
2. TO ENABLE DEVELOPMENT OF AN ETHOS STATEMENT THAT REPRESENTS A SHARED VIEW OF OUR NAVY CULTURE, INPUT FROM NAVY ACTIVE, RESERVE AND CIVILIAN PERSONNEL IS DESIRED. A SMALL TEAM OF PERSONNEL, REPRESENTING A VARIETY OF WARFARE COMMUNITIES, RANKS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, HAS PREPARED A DRAFT NAVY ETHOS STATEMENT. THE STATEMENT IS AVAILABLE FOR REVIEW AT THE WEBSITE: WWW.ETHOS.NAVY.MIL, ALONG WITH A BRIEF ONLINE SURVEY TO CONTRIBUTE YOUR THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS.
3. ALL COMMANDS AND ORGANIZATIONS ARE ENCOURAGED TO PROMOTE MILITARY AND CIVILIAN PARTICIPATION IN THE ETHOS SURVEY, WHICH CAN BE COMPLETED IN 5-10 MINUTES. A NAVY ETHOS 'BLOG' IS ALSO AVAILABLE AT THE WEBSITE FOR PARTICIPANTS TO EXCHANGE IDEAS IN A NON-ATTRIBUTION ENVIRONMENT BEYOND WHAT IS COVERED IN THE SURVEY. THE GOAL IS TO COLLECT FEEDBACK FROM A DIVERSE POPULATION OF PERSONNEL TO HELP SHAPE THE FINAL PRODUCT THAT WILL BE PROPOSED TO NAVY LEADERSHIP FOR ADOPTION.
4. ALTHOUGH DOD PKI CERTIFICATE INFORMATION (E.G. COMMON ACCESS CARD) IS REQUIRED TO ACCESS THE SURVEY AND BLOG, NO PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION (PII) WILL BE COLLECTED AT ANY POINT WHILE USING THE ONLINE TOOLS. PLEASE REVIEW THE QUESTIONS CAREFULLY AND COMMENT WITHOUT RESERVE. FOR INDIVIDUALS UNABLE TO ACCESS THE WEBSITE DUE TO BANDWIDTH OR OTHER LIMITING FACTORS, THE SURVEY MAY ALSO BE OBTAINED BY SENDING AN E-MAIL TO THE FOLLOWING ADDRESS: ETHOS.FCT(AT)NAVY.MIL. AN E-MAIL CONTAINING SURVEY QUESTIONS WILL BE SENT IN REPLY.
5. IN THE COMING WEEKS, A SERIES OF VISITS AND "TOWN HALL" LIKE DISCUSSIONS ON ETHOS ARE PLANNNED AT VENUES THROUGHOUT NAVY, FACILITATED BY TEAMS OF MILITARY AND CIVILIAN PERSONNEL INVOLVED IN THE ETHOS PROJECT. THESE DISCUSSIONS WILL SERVE TO PROVIDE ADDITIONAL OPPORTUNITY FOR COLLABORATION ON ETHOS DEVELOPMENT AND COMPLEMENT DATA COLLECTION EFFORTS AFFORDED BY THE ONLINE SURVEY AND BLOG. COMMANDS AND ORGANIZATIONS WILL BE NOTIFIED SEPARATELY OF TOWN HALL SESSIONS.
6. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR EFFORTS IN HELPING MOLD THIS IMPORTANT PART OF OUR NAVY CULTURE. YOUR OPINION MATTERS!
7. RELEASED BY VADM J. C. HARVEY, JR., DIRECTOR NAVY STAFF.//
UPDATE II - Electric Boogaloo: As usual, it takes a Chief to get stuff done, and get the Draft to me. I'll save you the PKI story....
We are the men and women of the United States Navy -- guardians of American sea power and maritime security.YMBFKM. What a pile of fetid, outcome-based-education sourced, self-esteem vanity narcississm. It is a self parody. BEHOLD!!! The Boomer Navy resonant in all its glory!
We are Active Duty, Reserve, and Civilian professionals -- a diverse, elite and agile force who aspire to the highest standards of service to our Nation, at home and abroad, at sea and ashore.
We are a disciplined and well-prepared team, committed to mission accomplishment on sea, land, air, and space. We are unwavering in our dedication and accountability to our fellow Sailors and Civilians.
We are patriots, forged by the Navy’s core values of Honor, Courage and Commitment. Our proud heritage, tradition and deep resolve serve as our battle anthem.
Integrity is the foundation of our conduct; respect for others is fundamental to our character; bold leadership is crucial to our success.
We will prevail in the face of adversity with strength, determination, and dignity.
We are the United States Navy!
Oh; what in John Paul Jones's Ghose is a "battle anthem?"
This isn't a Warrior Ethos. This doesn't get a Sailor's motivation up to d@mn torpedoes, steam, steel, or even a PQS quals. Shore Duty Staff Pogue madness!
I won't add anymore than Yankee did over at his post, but - someone with a pair (or sleeping with someone how has one) kill this Staff Weenie overpaid SES/GS/1700 drafted Ethos by committee now before it kills anyone else's morale.
If you want some constructive criticism here you go; kill the whole project. If not that, then cut the words by 75%.
Like defining "Shipmate" cr@p we just went through - if you feel a need to define it then all you are doing is telling the Fleet you don't have enough underway and/or deployment time. Jiminy-Frigg'n-Crickets! D@mn you LBG, you've ruined my day! Argghhhhhhh!!!!!!! (Phibian screams down the P-way as he leaves to go get a cup of coffee, while wondering why he ever quit smoking cigs and ponders bum'n one off YNC... maybe just one of my stashed Cuban cigars with the grumpy W3 instead....)
Hat tip LBG.