Tuesday, February 23, 2010

My readers have failed me ...


You know my weaknesses. Of the legion - here are a few.

1. Latin American food.
2. Latin American women.
3. Latin American women.
4. Strong women.
5. Conservative famale politicians.
6. Did I mention the fevered dreams I have of the possibility of a strong Latin American female politician; who can cook and help me find a decent place to buy pupusas?

...AND NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THE NEW PRESIDENT OF COSTA RICA!
Costa Rica has elected its first female president in a landslide victory, marking another political milestone for women in Latin America.

Laura Chinchilla, from the centrist ruling party, won 47% of the vote in a crowded field in yesterday's poll, further eroding the region's reputation as a bastion of machismo and patriarchy.
...
A social conservative who opposes gay marriage and abortion, she campaigned under the slogan "Laura: firm and honest," and said her priority would be to combat drug-fuelled violent crime. Opponents had cast her as a hypocritical Arias puppet who was soft on criminals. One rival, Otto Guevara, took a televised polygraph test to show he was more honest. Another, Luis Fishman, ran on the slogan that of all the candidates he was the "lesser evil".

Despite or perhaps partly because of such tactics, Chinchilla won in all seven provinces, a rare feat, and easily surpassed the 40% needed to avoided a run-off.
Most of you know how I feel about Colombia - but most of you have no idea that Costa Rica is my closest nation of refuge.

There are enough El Salvadorans in Costa Rica that I am sure she could help my find a good pupusaria.

Sigh. You all make me sad.

On a serious side, let me tie in a few things: in the last series of elections - Honduras, Panama, Chile, and Costa Rica have all turned right towards free markets and liberty. I wish we would reward these nations more along with Colombia. Alas, I don't expect that anytime soon.

Hat tip PowerLine.

15 comments:

Grumpy Old Ham said...

IIRC, Costa Rica has always been friendly ground for US retirees in general and military retirees in particular, although I could be confusing it with Belize.  Every time I see a Costa Rican location featured on "House Hunters International" I think to myself "I could easily spend a few years there."

This development is just icing on the cake, assuming it's a more-or-less permanent shift...but stability's the underlying issue in Central and South America, now isn't it?

MR T's Haircut said...

<span>Umm Dude would you have us believe that if we told you of her existance, you would not have laughed us off?  I mean COME ON... Her name is "Chinchilla"!!!  Cupachapra was taken...</span>

Grumpy Old Ham said...

One other comment.

Since it's never a bad time to take a gratuitous shot at the American "news media", take note of the links our host provided.  I just did a quick Google search on "Costa Rica Presidential election 2010" and could not find a single link about this story to an LSM/MSM outlet until the bottom of the second page, and even then it was a preliminary story -- not the final outcome.

The only time the LSM/MSM cares about Latin America is when one of their fellow travelers utters some anti-American diatribe or something supporting The One, or if there's some kind of natural disaster.  A center-right electoral victory?  Not even on the scope -- you might even call it "willful suspension of disbelief" that such an event could occur.  Asshats.

P.S.  It's "pupuseria", boss.

UltimaRatioRegis said...

Phib,

The US has moved away from free markets, so why would we reward those who turn toward them?  But never fear.  If we return to market economies, we may be able to elect a 40-something hottie of our own....

DeltaBravo said...

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaa! 

SCOTTtheBADGER said...

Sort of the female Hispanic version of "Eddie Rabbit"as far as names goes.

YNSN said...

Er, Sorry about that Sir.  I was hoping to keep her to myself... Competition and all...

Navig8r said...

I've been to Costa Rica several times and have always been impressed.  There are lots of US ex-pats living there, but now that the secret is out real estate prices are on a steep incline.  They get lots of $$ from eco-tourism, so they keep their widerness areas well protected and preserved.  The fishing and diving are second to none. 

Belize is pretty close on all counts, but gets a slight edge due to the official language being english.

xformed said...

Lemme see...who here is like all full time retired with most excellent investment strategies in place for a long time?

Who is pushing to be the "go to" blogging dude?  Got a radio show and all...big time stuff.

Don't let the mask slip.  I have always thought you were but just a bit short of omnicient... :)

Skippy-san said...

So long as the Del Rey Hotel and the Blue Marlin bar stay open-everything will be OK. :-D

Mary Alpha said...

No rewards from THIS POTUS!

Kristen said...

Excellent news!  I hope the trend to free markets and liberty in elections wlll roll northward right up to this country in November.

virgil xenophon said...

Chinchilla? Hummm... Can I rub her fur? :)

virgil xenophon said...

Of course I "can," (theoretically--once past the bodyguards) rather: "may I? :)

Anonymous said...

What a great resource!