Thursday, March 09, 2006

Art Buchwald: not dead yet

Art Buchwald is going out in style.
I am writing this article from a hospice. But being in the hospice didn't work out exactly the way I wanted it to. By all rights I should have finished my time here five or six weeks ago -- at least that's all Medicare would pay for.
...
I don't know if this is true or not, but I think some people, not many, are starting to wonder why I'm still around. In fact, a few are sending me get-well cards. These are the hard ones to answer.

So far things are going my way. I am known in the hospice as The Man Who Wouldn't Die. How long they allow me to stay here is another problem. I don't know where I'd go now, or if people would still want to see me if I weren't in a hospice. But in case you're wondering, I'm having a swell time -- the best time of my life.
AB comes from a gentler time in leftist political humor where things were less flecked and vicious. I will admit, I read his work – even received While Reagan Slept as a gift once in the 80s. There is a nice interview with him here.

While we are still with us Art; congrats on a life well lived, and may your transition be peaceful.

No comments: