Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Why You Don't Make Fun of Beards & Turbans

Good googly moogly! Chuck Norris; call your office.



I hear - and it sure looks like - these guys are Sikh.

The Sikhs I knew in college were incredibly smart, reliable, friendly, and all sorts of good. As a people, in general, their military record is outstanding. They don't try to force their religion on anyone ... and though there was the Golden Temple unpleasantness a quarter century ago that is working itself out - they are as a group an impressive people.

What this video has to do with that, I'm not sure .... but good googly moogly.

Bearded & turbaned or fully westernized - the Sikhs here in the USA that I have run into my whole life are a great addition to our national character - even when they aren't chewing light bulbs.

Oh - and this is another reason not to mess with South Carolina.

12 comments:

Guest said...

OK, fragile karate boards and fluorescent tubes are one thing.... but the sledge to the bone between the pecs at 3:23 is the real deal.  Nice.

Adversus Omnes Dissident said...

Really?  A lot of the Sikh's I know are THUGS.  But then again, I am engaged to an Indian woman and have a very different perspective.  I have met some quiet warrior Sikhs in my travels, but in this country a lot of them I could do without.

You paint with a very broad brush on the Sikhs, Sal.  You always have.

Adversus Omnes Dissident said...

Strong warriors?  For certain.  But just like not every Klingon is like Worf, not every Sikh is Sahibzada Ajit Singh ji .

Byron said...

Barret .50 at 1000 meters.. then follow with snake, nape and strafe. Crazy mofo's... especially the guy waxing his beard with his blood.

Pogue said...

I think I pulled liberty with those guys in Singapore a few years ago...  :-)

Byron said...

And you're still alive to tell the tale? Outstanding! Major liberty! 8-)

cdrsalamander said...

Ummm .... I think I have touched on them once before, and yes, I do paint with a broad brush - notice the "generally."  I am just reporting on my personal experience.

As for Indians - most Indians speak poorly of all the other ethnic/religious/castes from India; except their own of course.  

A friend of mine is a Patel.  Have you ever heard what other higher caste Indians say about Patels? So .... there you go.

Anonymous said...

it was said that Britsh Empire was held together by Royal Navy and Indian Army... with Sikhs and Gurkhas as the core.

andrewdb said...

If we're going to generalize, you might find this post by OnParkStreet interesting.  She is an East indian physician who posts regularly at ChicagoBoyz.

See here:  http://chicagoboyz.net/archives/26231.html

Happy T-day to The Porch.

Byron said...

You mean besides the fact that virtually every hotel you go to has someone named "Patel" in either management or ownership?

andrewdb said...

Many years ago I represented a physician in a deal.  My client was originally very high caste in the old country.  The other side, in the old country, was anything but.  Much litigation ensured. It took awhile for me to figure out what was really going on.

Old Farter said...

I enjoyed the female judge's reaction; a  mix of awe and horror.