Saturday, January 26, 2013

Minor to Major

Subtle. 

This made the rounds at the end of the week, and I'm still pondering it. 

I've been soaking in that band's music since my late teens ... and this deserves a few listens until you get it. Some hear melancholy ... I hear pleading ... strange effect how scale can move the undercurrent of a song, but in a good way. 

The original was a bit too droopy and sad ... but then again, that is what made the song so effective. 

Background here, but here is the summary. What happens when you take R.E.M.'s "Losing my Religion" from minor scale to major? The original:


The change:



BTW for all you Yankees out there - the Southern phrase "Losing my religion" has nothing to do with religion.

Anyway ... to me, this will always be R.E.M., though full of Yankees and Californians, R.E.M. will to me at least be a true Southern band.


While I'm back in the mid-80s again ... Flat Duo Jets baby! 

Want to know what attitude & vibe 'ole Sal was trying (not all that successfully, but trying) to flow with back in the day? Just watch Dex of FDJ, and you are just about there. 

Yep, most of you would have hated me, but I blew through those years like a blazing star and wouldn't trade a minute of it ... how I didn't get kicked out of NROTC I will never know, but ~16-22 was a glorious wrecklessness.

Yes, I spelled it that way on purpose.



UPDATE: Good googly moogly, my dear friend Chap ... there was a documentary about FDJ. "Two Headed Cow." An hour and a half: enjoy!

No comments: