There is a group in Philadelphia that just formed several months ago and received a non profit status. Their only concern is preserving and keeping Olympia safe from becoming an artificial reef.
They are The Friends of The cruiser Olympia. Pay them a visit and if you wish, join them in serving a historic and one of a kind ship.
Just a few facts from their site;
- World’s oldest floating steel warship.
- Sole surviving naval ship of Spanish-American War and revived American Steel Navy.
- Dewey’s flagship at Battle of Manila Bay, marking U.S. emergence as world power.
- National Historic Landmark and one-of-a-kind, as no sister ships were built.
- Carried body of the Unknown Soldier from France to U.S. in 1921.
- Awarded “Official Project” status of Save America’s Treasures program.
- National Historic Engineering Landmark, due to her triple-expansion steam engines, the first installed in a U.S. Navy ship.