The Chronicle of Higher Education today reports that a proposed revision in the Department of Defense’s directives to the service academies would limit their use of racial preferences in admission. The academies use affiliated preparatory schools to provide an additional year of instruction to students viewed as not quite ready to enter the academies themselves; the proposed revision would eliminate a reference to “minorities, including women” as among the groups that should be given “primary consideration for enrollment” at the prep schools.Once again we find that Big Navy is more interested in its fealty to Politically Correct but discredited racist theories than it is to the elected government whose Constitution it is sworn to protect. It has gotten to the point that DoD is having to force the Service Academies to stop discriminating against non-minority males.
This proposed change is fine, so far as it goes (although the Chronicle reports that even it is meeting with resistance at the Air Force academy). But the Chronicle article also reports—and earlier studies by the Center for Equal Opportunity confirm—that the “service academies continue to give consideration to race and ethnicity in their admissions decisions, and none of the changes being considered by the Pentagon would end that practice.” Well, why DOESN’T the Pentagon end that practice?
Aside from the usual diversity gibberish, the argument has been made that it simply won’t do to have an officer corps that doesn’t reflect the ethnic makeup of those they are leading. But when asked about this at the Supreme Court oral argument in the University of Michigan cases, the Solicitor General for the Bush administration said that “the position of the United States is that we do not accept the proposition that black soldiers will only fight for black officers or the reverse [and] that race neutral means should be used in the academies as well as other places.” Just so.
The nation's military-service academies could be stripped of one of their chief tools for bringing in black, Hispanic, and American Indian students as a result of regulatory changes being considered by the Department of Defense, officials of the U.S. Air Force Academy said on Tuesday.Why? And why are the services fighting DoD about it? Why do they keep a non-level playing field?
The proposed change in the Defense Department's directives to its service academies would end the institutions' ability to favor minority and female applicants in determining admissions to their affiliated "academy preparatory schools," which offer an additional year of academic instruction to students viewed as unready to enter the service academies themselves.
Simple fear. Fear of having an IG thrown their way. Fear of an anon call to a hotline number. Fear of being called names. Fear of having their name pulled from a promotion list by a politician or staffer with an agenda. Fear of a bad FITREP. Fear of simply being called a bad name. All of the above are fears I have seen first hand when it comes to anything that anyone might be able to twist into not supporting the most radical interpretation of "Diversity."
Why does the CNO need to expend the funds to have two feminists on his staff to advise him on women? Why do we support a whole pack of Diversity Bullies? Fear.
We also lie to our Sailors due to fear. Perhaps lie is too strong of a word. Do we spin? Yes. Do we twist words to mean what they don't yes. Prove me wrong. You can't. I know what I have done, have been ordered to have done, have seen, have allowed. I too - in my real world CDR X life, I watch my P & Qs. Why? Fear. Fear of what I have seen done to others professionally - especially in the 1990s. Fear I am ashamed of. An impotent fear - one I share with others all the way up to the CNO....unless he is a true believer.
Sometimes, messages comes out that require a Bullsh1t Bingo expert to find the threat. A threat that is real. A threat that tells the truth that the Navy does discriminate; an it wants you to. From FEB 06.
B. METHOD. NAVY WILL ACCOMPLISH THIS MISSION IN THREE PHASES.And what is that mission?
PHASES 2 AND 3 MAY OCCUR CONCURRENTLY AND MAY BE SUSTAINED THROUGHOUT ENDSTATE:
- PHASE 1: ASSESSMENT. PHASE 1 WILL CONSIST OF A BASELINE ASSESSMENT OF RECRUITMENT, RETENTION AND PROMOTION GUIDELINES THAT HAVE RESULTED IN CURRENT TOTAL FORCE DEMOGRAPHICS, AS WELL AS A REVIEW OF THE OVERALL DIVERSITY TOOLKIT, LEGAL AUTHORITIES AND CONSTRAINTS.
- PHASE 2: DECISIVE ACTION. PHASE 2 WILL CONSIST OF ESTABLISHING THE INSTITUTIONAL FRAMEWORK TO OPTIMIZE NAVY'S DIVERSE TOTAL FORCE, AS WELL AS CONDUCTING A FOCUSED ANALYSIS OF DEFICIENT AREAS TO SUPPORT ROOT CAUSE DETERMINATIONS AND CORRECTIVE ACTIONS. EFFECTS BASED ASSESSMENTS WILL UNDERPIN PHASE 2 ACTIVITIES.
- PHASE 3: SUSTAINMENT AND ACCOUNTABILITY. PHASE 3 WILL CONSIST OF THE ENDURING ACTIONS TO MAINTAIN NAVY'S DIVERSE TOTAL FORCE, INCLUDING ACCOUNTABILITY FOR BOTH MISSION SUCCESSES AND FAILURES.
2. MISSION. ASSUMING WE HAVE RECRUITED THE WIDEST RANGE OF TALENT OUR COUNTRY PRODUCES, NAVY WILL RETAIN AND PROMOTE A TOTAL FORCE THAT FULLY LEVERAGES AND VALUES THE DIVERSITY INHERENT IN ITS MAKEUP. WE MUST DEVELOP LEADERS AND ROLE MODELS WHO REFLECT OUR NAVY AND ESTABLISH ENDURING PROCESSES TO MAINTAIN THE DIVERSE TOTAL FORCE.That is quotas. That is the threat. Make sure your beans have the right mix of colors or you will be held accountable, i.e. professionally punished.
The mission isn't about readiness (if it was the French Foreign Legion and the NBA would be terrible), it is all about doing what you need to do to make the bad bullies go away.
You need to read it all, but it is full of all sorts of jewels.
- RECRUITMENT. ARE ALL ACCESSION SOURCES ACHIEVING A REPRESENTATIVE DIVERSITY AMONG QUALIFIED APPLICANTS?Yes, it is written like an Operational Plan. They even have a INFO OPS/PI campaign - against their own people and nation - planned.
- ARE PREP PROGRAMS MAXIMIZED TO PREPARE OFFICER CANDIDATES FOR SUCCESS AND TO INCREASE DIVERSITY?
- DOES THE INSTITUTIONAL FRAMEWORK ACHIEVE ALIGNMENT WRT DIVERSITY INITIATIVES UP, DOWN, AND ACROSS THE NAVY'STASK ORGANIZATION, SUCH THAT OUR GOALS FOR A DIVERSE TOTAL FORCE MAY BE ACHIEVED?
- PROMOTION. DO POLICIES AFFECTING ASSIGNMENT, MENTORSHIP, TRAINING AND EDUCATION MAXIMIZE OPPORTUNITIES TO SUCCESSFULLY COMPETE FOR ADVANCEMENT AND PROMOTION, REGARDLESS OF GENDER OR ETHNICITY?
- IS THERE A PROCESS TO ENSURE A DIVERSE POOL OF CANDIDATES FOR ALL AVAILABLE BILLETS AND OPPORTUNITIES?
- DO PROMOTION BOARD PRECEPTS CAPTURE THE ESSENCE OF THE DIVERSE
TOTAL FORCE, SUCH THAT ALL RECORDS ARE AFFORDED THEIR BEST
OPPORTUNITY FOR SELECTION? (NPC, JAG)
(2) CONDUCT PHASE TWO DECISIVE ACTION THROUGH EFFECTS ASSESSMENTS, FOCUSED ANALYSIS OF LINE OF EFFORT DEFICIENCIES AND ROOT CAUSE DETERMINATIONS TO SUPPORT CORRECTIVE ACTIONS. THESE EFFECTS BASED ASSESSMENTS OF RECRUITMENT, RETENTION, AND PROMOTION TAKE PLACE AGAINST A BACKDROP OF THE INSTITUTIONAL FRAMEWORK THAT DELIVERS THE NAVY'S DIVERSE TOTAL FORCE. CORRECTIVE ACTIONS MAY CALL FOR ADJUSTMENTS TO THE INSTITUTIONAL FRAMEWORK.
- IS SUCCESSFUL APPLICATION OF THE DIVERSITY FRAMEWORK APPROPRIATELY INCENTIVIZED AND REWARDED?
- IS FAILED APPLICATION OF THE DIVERSITY FRAMEWORK ACCOUNTED FOR?
5. ADMINISTRATION AND LOGISTICS.It is a fear that causes well educated men to spout babble to organizations' that are founded on a base of racism.
A. BUSINESS RULES. N1/NT INTENTIONS WILL INCLUDE APPLICABLE BUSINESS RULES REGARDING C2, COMMUNICATIONS, EFFECTS ASSESSMENTS, REPORTING, AND DIVERSITY SENIOR ADVISORY GROUP UPDATES. DIVERSITY STRATEGY DOCUMENT WILL BE PROVIDED SEPCOR AND VETTED THROUGHOUT NAVY WIDE DIVERSITY TASK ORGANIZATION AND IN ALIGNMENT WITH STRATEGY FOR OUR PEOPLE.
B. TIMELINE. INITIAL PHASE 1 ASSESSMENT ENDS 30 APR 06. PHASE 2 AND 3 BEGIN UPON COMPLETION OF INITIAL ASSESSMENT.
6. COMMAND AND CONTROL. OPERATIONAL C2 WILL BE EXECUTED FROM N1/NT THROUGHOUT THE DIVERSITY TASK ORGANIZATION IAW BUSINESS RULES DELINEATED IN COMMANDER'S INTENTIONS.
7. PUBLIC AFFAIRS. IN SUPPORT OF THIS CAMPAIGN I, IN COORDINATION WITH CHINFO, WILL SUSTAIN AN ACTIVE PUBLIC AFFAIRS APPROACH. PUBLIC RELEASE OF INFORMATION ABOUT NAVY DIVERSITY EFFORTS IS AUTHORIZED WHEN APPROVED BY CHIEF OF NAVAL INFORMATION OR MYSELF.
"Just like we offer the President a variety of combat capabilities, we also offer a diverse cross-section of enlisted Sailors and officers," he noted. "They come from every state, every race, every religion and every background imaginable. But their diversity is surpassed by their unity. Sailors in the fleet show this everyday in the war against a regime and an ideology that hates diversity, despises cultural differences and practices only the brutal repression of dissenting views."Huh?
From recruiting to Flag Officer selection we tell that lie in little ways and big. We do discriminate the same way the bigots of my Grandparents generation did. If you don't think we do, just look at Ref. A; the Diversity Bullies' calendar.
There has to be a Supreme Court case in here somewhere; I wish there was, because until someone tells me that this is an illegal order, I will carry out the orders 100% - almost as distasteful as the embargo of Haiti in the 90s, but I will do it.