Tuesday, November 08, 2016

An Election Day Note

My long time readers who were with me through the '04, '08, and '12 elections have probably noticed less politics here than prior cycles.

Those who follow me on twitter will have a fuller understanding why. In summary, I am not endorsing or supporting any candidate this year. For the first time since I shook hands with President Ford in 1976 and got hooked, I find myself detached from my nation's politics like an East Prussian Junker at the end of '45.

Hopefully in 24 hrs this will all be over and I will write a post-script on my thoughts for each Party, but not anything today.

All I would ask is that if you have not already, go vote. I won't try to tell you who to vote for, but vote. Don't vote because of what other people think. Don't vote for someone you would have trouble explaining yourself to others over when things go south. No. There is only one person you are accountable to for your vote, yourself.

If you cannot vote for someone you can be proud of for your reasons, then vote for the person you can best forgive yourself for voting for.

Yes, I am quite aware that in our system not to vote for one Party is to give half a vote to the other Party and that 3rd Party candidates are just vanity wagons for the candidates, but that does not matter.

All that matters is that you vote - if for no other reason than to concentrate on those House, Senate, State and local elections that will impact you as well.

Today, the only regret I have is that I am stubbornly against early voting, so will have to practice what I preach and wait in line - but I will vote.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: