Tuesday, February 23, 2016

So, a BB and a LCS walk in to a bar ...

On 07 Dec 41, the USS MARYLAND (BB-46) suffered the following damage;
Maryland was struck by two armor-piercing bombs which detonated low on her hull. The first struck the forecastle awning and made a hole about 12 ft (3.7 m) by 20 ft (6.1 m). The second exploded after entering the hull at the 22 ft (6.7 m) water level at Frame 10. The latter hit caused flooding and increased the draft forward by 5 ft (1.5 m). Maryland continued to fire and, after the attack, sent firefighting parties to assist her compatriots, especially attempting to rescue survivors from the capsized Oklahoma.[7] The men continued to muster the AA defenses in case the Japanese returned to attack. In all, two officers and two men were killed in the attack.
...on 30 December, the damaged ship entered Puget Sound Navy Yard for repairs just behind Tennessee. Two of the original twelve 5 in/51 cal guns were removed and the 5 in/25 cal guns were replaced by an equal number of 5 in/38 cal dual purpose guns. Over the course of several months, she was repaired and overhauled, receiving new fighting equipment. Repairs were complete on 26 February 1942. She then underwent a series of shakedown cruises to West Coast ports and the Christmas Islands. She was sent back into action in June 1942, the first ship damaged at Pearl Harbor to return to duty.
Repaired in 2.5 months and then back on deployment in 6. All while much of the Pacific fleet was demanding every bit of ship repair capability as possible.


The littoral combat ship Fort Worth remains sidelined at Singapore's Changi Naval Base, waiting both for the results of a mishap investigation into how major portions of the ship's propulsion gear was damaged and a decision on where to fix the ship.

Several sources indicated the LCS needs between six to 12 months in a shipyard to repair the damage sustained in Singapore during a pierside accident while undergoing scheduled maintenance Jan. 12.

No comments: