Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Where Skippy & Rummy find common ground

Death by PowerPoint.

Prebriefing the draft brief.

Socializing the Commander's Update Brief.

The dreaded quad-chart.

If there was one person I respect the most when it came to briefings, it was General Mattis, USMC (Ret.). Short, direct; perfect.

Take Mattis' angle with Rumsfeld ... and I think you may have something.

Read it all; but here is a nice pull quote or two:
The first consideration for meetings is whether to call one at all. ... it is important to avoid meandering sessions ... avoid making meetings so large that it feels you should have rented an amphitheater. ... start and end meetings on time. ... "Stay in your lane" is not my favorite phrase. Usually it is deployed by those who don't like other people commenting on their activities. An organization with impenetrable silos is not benefiting from the brains of its people. ... "Nothing betrays imbecility so much as insensitivity to it." During meetings, I confess to being less than patient with folks who bring up irrelevant information or are ill-prepared. ... Meetings are a good place to discover whether an organization might be suffering from groupthink. If everyone in the room seems convinced of the brilliance of an idea, it may be a sign that the organization would benefit from more dissent and debate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been surfing online greater than three hours these days, yet I by no means found any
fascinating article like yours. It's beautiful value enough for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made just right content material as you did, the web will likely be a lot more useful than ever before.

Here is my web blog :: コーチ