Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Why we Need Plan Salamander for GOFO Now

How long have I been calling for Congressional action on the food trough issue, eight years? I'll say it again; GOFO shall not work for a publicly or privately held company that has business with the Department of Defense for a period not less than five years following their effective date of retirement.

If GOFO want to know where the raft of cynicism in the Fleet comes from, if they really want to know why people don't really trust their motivations and decisions, if they want to know why their motivations are questioned .... well ... here is a start.
New research by Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) found 70% of the 108 three-and-four star generals and admirals who retired between 2009 and 2011 took jobs with defense contractor or consultants. In at least a few cases, the retirees have continued to advise the Department of Defense while on the payroll of defense contractors, suggesting the Pentagon may not always be receiving unbiased counsel.

A Boston Globe investigation revealed the number of retired three-and-four star generals and admirals moving into lucrative defense industry jobs rose from less than 50% between 1994 and 1998 to a stratospheric 80% between 2004 and 2008.


Here is the full report. CREW Strategic Maneuvers Pentagon Generals Revolving Door 11-15-12 Hat tip ZeroHedge and the Front Porch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sal - I agree with you that this is a major issue. Everywhere I turn I can't escape a retired FOGO giving me his opinion on everything my command does. But...I have a question. What do you expect these guys to do? They have the opportunity to make a ton of money doing exactly what they "know" and love. These guys don't know anything else. I really do agree with everything you've said, but I just can't see these guys doing anything but what they've doing.