Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Jack Dunphy speaks for me

As you may have gathered, I was trying to word right a reaction to Ed vs. publius - I still don't think I hit it quite right.

Jack Dunphy is to the LAPD what I am to the USN, except he is much better at his writing than I am at blogg'n. He nails about 95% what I wish I wrote.
As NRO’s longterm pseudonymous writer, I’ve taken great interest in the Ed Whelan vs. Publius dustup. The thought occurs that in unmasking Publius, his apology notwithstanding, Mr. Whelan has inadvertently hung a target on my back, inviting anyone on the left so inclined to seek to expose me in an act of digital revenge. I pray this doesn’t come to pass, as it would in all likelihood effectively end my career with the Los Angeles Police Department.

I’m grateful to my editorial masters at NRO for allowing my use of the pseudonym and for maintaining the secret all these years. When I wrote my first piece for them on a lark back in the summer of 2000 I had little idea I would still be at it nine years later. In that time I’ve managed to vex two mayors, two police chiefs, and any number of their respective underlings, any or all of whom would no doubt be gratified to see me unmasked and silenced once and for all.

To those who claim my use of a pseudonym is cowardly, I can only say I wouldn’t have lasted as long as I have in my “day job” if I hadn’t overcome any cowardly inclinations I may have once had. I keep the details of my assignment vague in my writing so as to safeguard my identity, but readers can be reassured I’ve spent little time behind a desk, and I hope to keep it that way until such time as I choose to retire.

I hope that over these nine years I’ve provided NRO readers with insights into the world of law enforcement, but the only way I can continue to provide those insights while remaining a police officer is to do so from the security afforded by my pseudonym. I’ve been warned by people in positions to know such things that my career would be in jeopardy should my identity become known.
That about describes where I am.

One note though, I have spent WAY too much time at a desk .... but don't we all?

No comments: