Thursday, July 22, 2004

Well, let's give this a try and see what happens

I have been thinking about getting this started for awhile after bothering a man greater than myself, CDR Bluebeard, to start a blog.  If for no other reason than to post his rantings (if he will let me), err insights, I decided to give this a start and see what happens.

As for me, well I'm a Navy Commander.  That is about all you are getting out of me.  Going public with your opinions as an active duty officer is in a way just dumb if you want to get recommended for promotion and don't want someone's "pinky finger" spiking you at a selection board.  The Naval Institute's Proceedings( http://www.usni.org/proceedings/proceedings.html) is a great institution, but you publish at your own peril.  Sad really.  You can publish technical and tactical pieces with them, I have.  But opinion?  Not so smart.  We will cover boards and command influence later, but let’s just say that blogging is a better institution until you get outed.  Lets see how long this takes..............if I get edgy.  I don't know how edgy I will get.  Maybe my random thoughts and postings will just float around in obscurity and be ignored.  Hey, if nothing else, it is cheap therapy.  


No comments: