Friday, August 08, 2014

Fullbore Friday

While we are still in the WWI frame of mind, I needed to take at least one more opportunity to give a nod to both of my Grandfathers who served in the Navy in WWI. 

My maternal Grandfather never left CONUS, but my paternal Grandfather did - he served on the USS ARKANSAS (BB-33) through her service Battleship Division NINE as part of the Royal Navy's Grand Fleet's Sixth Battle Squadron. I've blogged about ARKANSAS a few times, click here for a review if you wish.

Sadly, I don't have any pictures of him ... just paper records. Thanks to our friends at NHHC, we do have access to some of the archive of pictures and I have found this one. Pops was on the ARKANSAS at this time. A very small chance he is in this picture, but his Shipmates are. Those he went to war with for that short, quiet, but important deployment at the very end of the Great War. At least one of these young men would have recognized Pops if he walked by him ... that is good enough for me.

As we, the guilty party here BTW, occasionally throw barbs at the hesitancy and apparent selfishness of our allies today, we should try to humble ourselves with the knowledge that we have the same habits - a review of Battleship Division NINE demonstrates that well.

That is part of our history too ... but for now, I just want to take a moment to give a nod to my Pops and his Shipmates, and the unmitigated glory it must have been being at sea with ARKANSAS, WYOMING, TEXAS, NEW YORK, & FLORIDA (NB: DELAWARE was replaced by ARKANSAS).

No comments: