Thursday, March 08, 2012

SECDEF's Interesting Constitution

In general, I think SECDEF Panetta is doing a fine job - but he seems to be twisted in a knot here. You'll see General Dempsey first - and he does a fine job - then SECDEF.



He actually says, more than once ... that he defers to international bodies before the U.S. Congress.

I think I know what he means, and again I will cut him some slack. Anyone who has worked in building a Combined Operational Plan knows that one of the central things most of our European allies look for is a reference to "UNSCR XXXX" to act. In his work with our allies, that occupies a lot of his time and focus, so I can see where his mind is stuck in a rut.

Other nations don't care about Congress - and it seems that using the Libyan example, we are getting more an more in the habit of blowing off Congress totally.

Say what you want about Bush ... but he did go to Congress.

No comments: