Monday, August 17, 2009

The End of Suffering ....

There is more here than the core of what Laura A. Munson wrote about late last month in the NYT.
I’d committed to “The End of Suffering.” I’d finally managed to exile the voices in my head that told me my personal happiness was only as good as my outward success, rooted in things that were often outside my control. I’d seen the insanity of that equation and decided to take responsibility for my own happiness. And I mean all of it.
What in your life is making you suffer? Is your suffering really externally forced on you - or internally determined?

Family, love, career, or finances? I think her overview has an angle of all of them
.
When life’s knocked us around. And our childhood myths reveal themselves to be just that. The truth feels like the biggest sucker-punch of them all: it’s not a spouse or land or a job or money that brings us happiness. Those achievements, those relationships, can enhance our happiness, yes, but happiness has to start from within. Relying on any other equation can be lethal.
To get the full picture though, you need to read it all.

I think Laura has it figured out. Nice.

Hat tip Mrs. Salamander.

No comments: