Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What I saw with the troops

Sorry for the late post, but I am sucking bandwidth through a stirring straw, when I can find some.

I have a chance to watch the Inauguration Speech with a batch of Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines and managed to jot down a few notes.

These are the notes as I took them, unrevised or edited. Nothing shocking, just what I saw, heard and thought.

Ah, here come the Presidents. Let's see what reception they get;
- a few for Carter
- more for Clinton
- about the same for Bush41 as Carter
- hey, a quick shot of Obama - less for Obama than for Clinton, Carter or Bush when he came up. When he was announced, much applause more. Racial divide? Oh, yea. 85/15 applause - though I think most were being quiet out of a desire to be polite so others could hear what was going on - no slight to the new CINC that I saw. Give'em a pass.

Good thing is that as many Americans of Sub-Saharan extraction sat on their hands than made noise. Interesting angle - the most vocal were female. No shocker.

Whodathunk. The son of a Kenyan President of the USA. Yea, we'll see that in Germany, France, UK, The Netherlands - Europe can sit down and shut up now.

Rick Warren did quite well. You don't have to be a Christian to like the Lord's prayer.

Ms. Franklin is a class act. Full stop...with a hat I haven't seen since a Sunday many moons ago.

Biden, Feh.

At that point, though I enjoyed it thoroughly, Obama should have come up. The mini-concert was a bit much. Yawn. You could see the air come out of the troops at that point.

YouTube, SNL and a few others should, if they have a pair, have lots of fun with the "What should I say?" moment.

Speech: nice comment and reception of the Bush thanks. He said WAR! Greed and responsibility - nice.

Slight tone issues with the speech towards the end. End programs? We'll see what happens outside the Pentagon.

Best response at "we will defeat you."

Era of responsibility? Hmmmmm, start with the new Treasury Sec.

Best quote, "We will extend a hand if you are willing to unclench your fist."

Nice speech.

All poets should be sent somewhere far away.
A little POSTEX: this guy is officially and a55hat and a bigot.

I wish the new administration and my new CINC all the best of luck and wisdom as they go forward; we will need it.


As for commentary, Wall Street had something to say - I guess.

No comments: