Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Draft Skippy!

I don't think they could publish an interview with him though ....
A veteran who has been out of the military for 15 years and recently received his AARP card was stunned when he received notice he will be deployed to Iraq.

The last time Paul Bandel, 50, saw combat was in the early 1990s during the Gulf War.

"(I was) kind of shocked, not understanding what I was getting into," said Bandel.

"Anger's not the word. I was more concerned about the financial impact it's going to do. My pay's probably cut in half," said Paul Bandel.

"Right now, I'm just in disbelief because it's like the disbelief that this could be happening 15 years after being out of the military. It's like a dream or a nightmare," said Linda Bandel.

The veteran is dusting off his old uniforms and torn between his duty to his country and obligations as a grandfather.

"I certainly never thought I'd be going back there at this point in my life," said Paul Bandel.

The last missile system the veteran was trained to operate is no longer used by the military.
Hat tip Mrs. Greyhawk.

No comments: