Monday, November 27, 2006

Steyn vs. Ralph

Like I implied last month, Ralph has jumped the shark - there is not question now. My instinct is to ignore him, but Mark Steyn just spanks him so hard I have to pass this on.

Long term readers know that demography is one of the core topics I come back to. Mark Steyn has an exceptionally important book out (I still need to read it) America Alone: The End of the World as We Know It. In addition, he has a great "perspective" out on what demographics means to the future in Quartet of Ladies Shows Where We're Headed. On the other side of the coin is a poorly thought out bucket of FOD by Ralph, The 'Eurabia' Myth. There is some good give and take over at PowerLine when Steyn just blisters Ralph's behind.
Ralph Peters is late to this debate. If heÂ’s going to join the discussion, he might do better to tackle the facts. But that would require him to acknowledge real specifics rather than "“a rash of pop pundits"”. YouÂ’ll notice that his column and mine differ not just in their approach to worldviews but in their approach to argument: mine cites four specific persons, their actions and assertions; his boldly batters anonymous generalizations. I know which I regard as more effective.
Oh, it hurts from here!
UPDATE: Looks like Lex is reading the same stuff.

No comments: