Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Achy Breaky Family

If today is "...are we doing our job as men?" day at CDRSalamander - let's go from husbands & co-workers to a father's responsibility.

It was almost three years ago when I first posted about the train-wreck that I saw coming WRT Miley Cyrus. You can review the archive here.

Regardless of what you may think of her father's decisions - this must break your heart. As a father of young women - it does mine.
Blaming publicists and Miley's handlers, Billy Ray gives an anguished interview in GQ's March issue, where he adds he wishes "Hannah Montana" never happened.

"I hate to say it, but yes, I do. I'd take it back in a second," said Billy Ray, who is divorcing Miley's mother, Tish.

Reflecting on Miley's controversial moments -- including seductive photos on the Internet, pole-dancing at the Teen Choice Awards, and posing for Vanity Fair draped in a sheet -- Cyrus says he should have been more strict, and accuses her handlers for going too far to promote her, and then using him as the fall guy.
...
"I'm scared for her. She's got a lot of people around her that's putting her in a great deal of danger. I want to get her sheltered from the storm."

Talking about Miley's 18th birthday party at LA bar Trousdale, he says, "You know why I didn't go? Because they were having it in a bar. It was wrong. It was for 21 years old and up . . . all them people, they all wanted me to fly out so that then when all the bad press came they could say, 'Daddy endorsed this stuff.' I started realizing I'm being used."

Then photos surfaced of Miley smoking the legal herb salvia from a bong. Billy Ray, who gave the interview to GQ's Chris Heath five days after the photos emerged, says he hadn't spoken to Miley since, but confronted one of her handlers: "They told me it was none of my business."

But he admits, "I should have said, 'Enough is enough -- it's getting dangerous and somebody's going to get hurt' . . . Honestly, I didn't know the ball was out of bounds until it was way up in the stands somewhere."
I'm sorry Dad. Everything that happened up to her 18th Birthday is north of 51% your problem. Now that she is 18 - it's hers.

No one is a perfect father - goodness knows I'm not .... so don't beat yourself too much over it - and don't blame others, it will only make your pain worse, and stop you from finding peace.

Hopefully others can learn from this arch - but we will see it again.

I wish you and Miley the best and hope she can find better guidance as an adult, and can find strength and a center. I also wish for you and her to find a path back to each other.


Friends don't let friends put their kids into Hollywierd's cesspool

No comments: