Monday, December 10, 2007

You can't buy training like this


I almost feel like a kid again.
Russia dispatched an 11-ship aircraft carrier group to the Mediterranean Sea, the defense minister said Wednesday — part of what he said was an effort to resume regular Russian naval patrols on the world's oceans.

The announcement by Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov is the latest move by Russia to expand its military presence internationally and flex growing economic and military strength.

Speaking at a Kremlin meeting with President Vladimir Putin, Serdyukov said an aircraft carrier, two anti-submarine ships, a guided missile cruiser along with refueling ships from Russia's Northern and Black Sea fleets and 47 aircraft would be part of the group in the Mediterranean.

He said the group would conduct three tactical exercises with real and simulated launches of sea- and air-based missiles and make nearly a dozen port calls.
In my mind I can see all the old anchorages in the Med. My favorite was the one near the Egyptian-Libyan border. I remember seeing a picture, I think around 1990 a Victor III SSN next to Kirov CBGN. Sniffle.

I'll let Heather tell you about it.


No comments: