Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Mark, Howard, and me

Talking Points at The Week summarizes the conventional wisdom on Ruddy.
When the word gets out that the man who stood tall in the rubble of the twin towers is also a thrice-married supporter of gay rights, gun control, and legal abortion, die-hard Republicans may find themselves less keen to make “America’s mayor” its president. His opponents’ negative TV ads will practically script themselves, said Michael Tomasky in The American Prospect Online. After Giuliani left his second wife, Donna Hanover, for his current wife, he briefly shared an apartment with a gay couple, Mark and Howard.
I think it misunderstimates the parts of the Rep. party that they simply do not understand. Let me explain; I am an Evangelical (albeit a dancing, drinking, cigar smoking, Libertarian leaning, exceptionally weak to my vices one), pro-gun guy. Gays don't bother me, so I don't bother them. Rudy's conflicted views on abortion are well known and shared by many. As a matter of fact - Rudy is a well known quantity. People know where he differs from them and I think are willing to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Given the odds of a Clinton, Edwards, or Obama on the Dem ticket - I think Rudy will look like a winner even the SBC would endorse.

Though I still like Romney - I could vote for Rudy without blinking an eye. Perfect, no. A wartime leader who at least I know where he stands 90% of the time? Yes.

Lets be realistic here as well. A President only has real control over National Security, spending priorities through the executive branch and the veto pen, and Judicial appointments in general. On those major areas, Rudy is right. The social issues will be fought in the States and the Legislative Branch on balance.

No comments: