Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Pop culture is filth

Though he is reconsidering, I’m believe John Derbyshire is right. Pop culture if filth.

How many of you have daughters? How many of them have taken a dance class – or sung in a chorus? If not, I am sure most of you have been in an audience of the above.

Now, one of the most popular songs for 1st through 4th graders to sing/dance to (as chosen by ADULTS) is the apparently saccharine Jackson 5 song A-B-C. Have these adults ever read the lyrics? Only in hindsight have I realized that I was part of an audience of hundreds of adult parents watching grade school girls dance to
this:
Michael: You went to school to learn, girl
Things you never, never knew before...

Jermaine: Like I before E except after C...

Michael: And why 2 plus 2 makes four
Now now now, I'm gonna teach you...
J5: Teach you, teach you

Michael: All about love, dear...
J5: All about love
….
Tito: Come on, let me love you just a little bit!
Jackie: Come on, let me love you just a little bit!
Jermaine: I'm a going to teach how to sing it out!
Michael: Come on, come one, come on
Let me show you what it's all about!
….
Michael: Your education ain't complete
T-T-T-Teacher's gonna show you

J5: Show you, show you

Michael: How to get an A!

Michael: Sit down, girl!
I think I love you!
No!
Get up, girl!
Show me what you can do!

Shake it, shake it, baby, come on now!
Shake it, shake it, baby, ooo oooh!
Shake it shake it, baby, huh!
123, baby, oo ooo!
ABC, baby, nah nah!
Do re mi, baby, huh!
That's how easy love can be.
That is just so wrong in so many ways. It does explain why Michael Jackson has such a dorked up view of sexuality. Hopefully, the 10 yr old girls singing and dancing to this song don’t process the lyrics. Mea Culpa here. I didn’t process the lyrics in time to ask the other adults “Do you know what those lyrics you have Katelyn, Brittany, Emma, and Emily dancing to are about?”

The album ABC came out in 1970. Shows that the sexualization of pre-pubescent children is a long standing problem.

No comments: